HISTORY OF KILLIAN BAPTIST CHURCH
(from the 1990 Directory)
According to sources at the church, Killian Baptist Church was organized around 1842. Before the name "Killian" was adopted in the early 1900's the church had been known as Crane Creek Baptist Church. In 1988 they celebrated its 145th anniversary.
Since the church no longer possesses the original church records of the early years, the associational minutes are ths most reliable source of information. The 1874 minutes of the Fairfield Baptist Association recorded that Crane Creek Baptist Church was organized between September 6 and October 7, 1874, under the leadership of the new associational missionary, W. B. Elkin. One excerpt from the minutes of 1874 states that "Crane Creek reports a revival, resulting in the organization of a Church with thirty-seven members; applied for admission as a member of this Association, and was admitted." J. N. Entzminger was listed as pastor of Crane Creek in the 1874 minutes.
According to a church source, Mr. J. L. David sold two acres of land to Crane Creek Baptist Church on July 22, 1899. The Associational minutes of 1899 referred to this transaction by stating that members of Crane Creek "have bought church with land, lamps, Bible, etc." This property was near the present church site.
The church remained at that location until the mid-1950's. In 1956 Mr. William Hoefner sold the church four acres of land, and the congregation moved to the present site on Killian Road. Buildings were constructed immediately; and the first services were held in the new sanctuary and educational building on October 18, 1956. A larger educational unit was added in 1965, providing additional classrooms, office spaces, fellowship hall, and kitchen. Additional educational units were added in 1982. The church has since built a new sanctuary, office space and renovated the old sanctuary into Sunday School classes and a choir room, office and church library.
From the thirty-seven members in 1874, Killian has grown to an active membership of approximately 325. The church has a current budget of over $100,000.00. In addition to the pastor, the paid staff includes a part-time Administrative Assistant, part-time Minister of Music, part-time Minister of Youth and Accompanist.
In October of 2007 we celebrated our 165th anniversary. A dedication ceremony was held at the cemetery, the original site of Killian Baptist Church, where a sundial and bronze marker were placed.